Friday, September 18, 2009

San Francisco


Got up and took Tommy to work and he suggested taking the 280 to SF due to less traffic and a more scenic drive, he was correct on both accounts. I drove straight into the Mission District and stopped by the bike shop ken works at and talked with him for a while before heading off to grab lunch, under his recommendation, at a taco truck called El Tonayense. The tacos were absolutely delicious and simple, just meat, salsa, cilantro, and onions. The Al Pastor and Carne Asada were the best tacos I have ever had. I then headed to Ritual Coffee (missing their coffee cuppings, which are held every Friday, by an hour, oh well). I brought my laptop and kept myself busy until Dee was finished doing her errands. I randomly saw Scottie at Ritual (I used to ride bikes with him back in SD).

The next couple days in SF broke down as follows:

Finally went to Tornado. It was not as divey as I was expecting from others' descriptions and the lights were on a little too bright (like in SD) but the beer selection DEFINITELY did not let me down. Atmosphere was a little more relaxed than SD just because it was beat up a bit more.



Street Food Festival. Dee and I walked there from her house (not a short trek) without eating anything for breakfast. At one point, Dee turns to me and says "Ok, I am starving, I am about to start getting pretty grumpy. Just to warn you." A couple blocks later we run into the taco truck and after hearing me rave about it yesterday, we decide to get one to hold us over until the festival. The festival was PACKED and we were starving so we picked the shortest line that sounded good, Salvadorian food. We didn't realize that there was a whole 2nd half to the festival (neither did most of the people there) that had shorter line and food that was just as good. Either way, the tropical fruit agua fresca was good and perfectly complimented the emenada and tomal perfectly.

Philz Coffee. Philz has entire menu for all of their different types of coffee, explaining the flavors and type of roast. Each cup is mad individually with a drip filter. The quality of coffee is as good as ritual but a lot less pretentious, it is much more of a neighborhood spot. I had the "Soooo Good" blend and that it was, soooo good.

Little Otsu. A really cool independently owned stationary and zine store. Really friendly people working and a really great selection of things. Great for little gifts for people.



15 Romolo. After meeting Sellan, Denise, Philip, and Jupei for Sellan's birthday dinner, we met up with some others for drinks at various places, my favorite being 15 Romolo. They served classic style cocktails with all natural ingredients. Really great stuff, my favorite drink was the Rio Grande.



The trip was surprisingly short for how much I love SF (love it more and more each time I visit) but I wanted to get on the road and see other things. Besides, I will be back in April anyway.

2 comments:

  1. oh man I want a zine store around here. These rock Adrian.

    Nice pose in that last pic. You almost just look like part of the scenery it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I was going for.

    Though I think being the only white person kinda helps too.

    ReplyDelete