Monday, September 7, 2009

Central California Coast

 

I got up early to start the day, but also so I wouldn't have to wait inline for the Hostel's free sourdough pancake breakfast which was actually quite good. They provide the batter, you cook your own. Some of the European guests had never had pancakes before so I had to explain how to cook them (gotta thank mom for that one).

After breakfast, I packed up and drove through Montana De Oro National Park, a nice coastal park with small beaches dotting the coast line and nice hikes to the top of the different peaks. I hiked up to Valencia peak, a 2 mile hike each way, with no water. That wasn't such a great idea but I made it back alright. After the hike, I drove to Morro Bay for lunch and stopped of at Giovanni's Fish Market where the woman next to me had a dog that was the spitting image (though skinnier and MUCH more calm) of my old dog Rocky. The oysters are Giovanni's were really good, very fresh and no need for the cocktail sauce.


After lunch, it was time for Big Sur, a famous, beautiful, scenic, and tiring drive. About half way through, I stopped to check out the price of gas at the most expensive gas station in the U.S. and to get some caffeine in me for the remainder of the drive. The guy making coffee drinks was easily the quirkiest, most interesting barista I have ever experienced.

 


I continued up the 1 to Monterey and then drove up to San Mateo where I met with Tiffany for sushi and good conversation as always.  

1 comment:

  1. "Giovanni's oysters are really good ... interesting baristas ... good sushi and good conversation ..."

    Jeez, you're doing it tough young fella me lad.

    (Have emailed your parents instructing them to send you emergency supplies of Vegemite.)

    ReplyDelete